Thursday, October 1, 2009

Today I ...

forgot how old I was. This guy in my class asked me how old I was. (In response to me telling him I didn't have kids ... which already makes me feel old.) Do I look that old that when I tell you I'm childless you have to double-check to make sure I haven't passed my child-bearing years? Ugh.

Anyway, he asked. I wanted to say 24. Then I realized that not only was I not 24 but the only reason that sounded right was because Charlie and I had previously had a conversation about how old Tulowitzki is. He's 24 in case you're wondering. [I happened to know that, which I think should score me some mad "awesome wife" points.]

After realizing I was not 24 I was torn between 25 and 26. [Please keep in mind this is an actual debate in my head. I seriously could not figure out how old I was.] So I went with 25. Sounded about right. And I like the age 25. Smack in the middle of your 20s ... a good place to be. After telling him I was 25 I realized that couldn't be right. So then I told him I was 26. But that sounded too old. So I went back to 25. (At this point he's looking at me like I have 5 heads, and like he's sorry that he asked.) But then I realized I just had a birthday. So I decided (again) on 26.

Then, trying to explain my stupidity, (I mean really, what kid over the age of 1 doesn't know their age?), I tried to explain that I was confused because I had just turned 26. Didn't work out so well.

This really has been a long week. Can't wait to explain environmental economics to 30 people tomorrow. I can barely explain it to my dog.

P.S. I realize there are about 100 grammatical errors in this post. It's late. I'm tired. Let it go.

4 comments:

Lyryn said...

This is to funny... because I totally do this too!!! I just turned 27, but my entire year being 26 I told people I was 27! I have no idea why!!! Wow... :)

A New England Girl said...

Oh goodness, this happens to me all the time too! I'm nearing 25 and for the longest time, I couldn't get beyond telling people I was 23. Not because I wanted to be 23 again, but because I am just so utterly confused about it at times! :) At least there's a few of us so we don't have to feel so strange and alienated. :)

Jodie said...

This seriously happened to me three years ago during my graduate school orientation. I had just met two girls in my program and accidentally told them the wrong age.. woops! haha

Alex said...

ha - just say what feels right. I have a friend who says "25" no matter what. 2 years ago I accidentally told a guy I met on a ski lift that I graduated high school in 2005 when I meant college. When I caught my mistake, he goes "yeah, I was gonna say..."