Monday, March 23, 2009

The story of Love Part 3: The year of long distance

We last left off with The Year of No Money. Fun times. We were now looking for jobs that paid enough to allow us to make rent. Not exactly the easiest thing in the D.C. area. To be honest Charlie had a better time of it than I did. He interviewed and got a job with a company in early May so when he graduated at the end he started his job the next day. He got hired in Northern Virginia and made plans to move in the summer which meant for the first time it was going to be harder to see each other. Still ... his new diggs were about a 35 minute commute from where I was working so we still saw each other on some weeknights and weekends.

Photobucket
I told you he graduated! And in the same cap and gown I wore the year before.

Me ... well it definitely wasn't as easy for me to find a new job. I was still working at the Dermatology office and while it was fine it wasn't something I could stay in for much longer. I had applied to PA school in North Carolina and was waiting to see what happened with that. I was also applying for every job that I could find. On a whim, I applied to the school system in a rural county in Maryland and in one week I found out that I got into PA school and got offered a teaching job. I took the teaching job and deferred my acceptance for PA school for a year.
Photobucket
This was the view from my bedroom. How can you not love waking up to a view like that?


Photobucket
We celebrated our 2nd anniversary. Hands down the most romantic trip ever.

C and I were now 2.5 hours away from each other which meant that we were doin' the long distance thing. Now if you ask C about that year he'll tell you it was really hard. Me? I loved it. I loved my job. I loved the people I worked with. I loved having new friends and to be honest I really loved living in the middle of nowhere. [And when I say nowhere ... I'm not kidding. I literally lived in a one stoplight town, except I didn't live in town. The high school I taught at was nicknamed 'cornfield high' on account that it was surrounded on all sides by cornfields.] Sure it was hard only seeing C on weekends. We would trade every other weekend who's turn it was to drive and come visit. Every Saturday and Sunday morning we would drive to Panera and sit for hours catching up on the week. I have lots of good memories from that time. Still ... as the end of the teaching year approached there were a lot of decisions to make. We both knew that we couldn't do the long distance thing forever, I had to decide if I wanted to keep teaching or move to NC and go to PA school. And to be honest I wasn't too sure what would happen if I moved 8 hours away from C for two years ... onto [Part 4].

1 comment:

Taryn said...

You sure have a good attitude about long distance- MN to CO was far too long distance for me. I stick at it. = )