Monday, January 5, 2009

2009 Resolutions

Resolutions, goals, guidelines whatever you want to call them. Here are mine for '09:

1. I will stop wondering what my life would be like if I hadn't quit my teaching job and dragged C across country so that I could attend grad school. Yes, things would be different. I would have a paycheck that was something I could actually be proud of, I wouldn't feel like I spend my days getting nothing accomplished, and I would feel useful. But, I wouldn't know what it's like to pack up and move somewhere I've always wanted to live. I would be getting a graduate degree in a field I had no interest in and I wouldn't have experienced a lot of things. Bottom line: the decision is made, make the most of it.
2. Save $10 K. Note: This must be money saved from money earned not given. After merging bank accounts I no longer buy clothes anymore (sad fact). But if we stop keeping R.E.I. in business and buying so many bags of chips (my ass will also thank me for this one) we'll have more money to save. A job would also help but I'll get to that...
3. Hike a fourteener. This will have to wait until the summer because I cannot hike through 6 feet of snow. Also, as I've told C, the dogs have to come. They're my motivation and I know they won't leave me on a mountain top unlike some other people I know (*cough, Charles*).
4. Find a part-time job I can tolerate while I go to school. See, I'm being more realistic or cynical, whatever you want to call it. Notice that I didn't say "fulfilling" job. I've given up on that. I just want a part time job that doesn't make me want to rip my ears off.
5. Go to school. At this point it's out of my hands, unless I can convince 5 people I've never met to drop a mandatory class.
6. Be thankful for what I have. I realize this is a vague goal. But I have so much to be thankful for, Charlie, our cozy apartment, a car that runs, crazy pups, our families, the fact that we're both healthy. I want to spend more time focusing on that instead of the other stuff.
7. Read the books my mother gave me. It's time.
8. Recycle. Ok, this is going to be a pain. But I want to start recycling glass, cans, and cardboard. I know this means trekking it all to the recycling center but really, I can do it.
9. I will not add any more animals to our family. I love the ones I have but we have four hands and four animals. Any more would just be crazy.
10. I will cook twice a week and freeze half of it. Part of the reason (or excuse that I use) for not cooking is that between 2 people we just can't eat it all and it ends up getting thrown away. After cooking a meal if I immediately freeze half it solves the problem and give us something to eat the next week.
11. I will vacuum twice a week. Either this or shave all the animals. I'm debating.
12. I will not worry about our wedding. It's not going to be a small wedding and I need to give up on trying to making it that. It doesn't matter who has invited themselves, or if certain family members can't get along. Most of what happens that day is completely out of my control. However, I will spend time with the people I love and not worry about the rest.
13. I will walk the dogs AT LEAST 4 times a week. This means hour long walks, regardless of the temperature outside (there's a reason God invented long underwear). This is just as much for me as it is for them.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

if amen were a word i used frequently in my vocabulary i think it would be a perfect comment to leave, wouldn't it? "amen sister"

instead i'm going to go with a slightly more urban phrase for the agreement and support i feel for your most recent blog.

Word.


love you